Food and Beverages

Although some food and beverages might be your favorite, they can also be dangerous for your dog or cat. One of the most common and well-known food toxins to pets is chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which cannot be metabolized by your dog or cat. Similarly, your pet should steer clear of grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, mushrooms, berries, macadamia nuts, and alcohol too because these items on the grocery list are toxic to pets. Before feeding your dog or cat anything, you should consult with your veterinarian to be sure that it’s the best fit for your furry friend. If you’re looking for a high-quality, natural pet food option that emphasizes nutrition, palatability, safety, and convenience, then we encourage you to discover why our food is the right choice.


Even though most medications are stored in child-proof containers, that doesn’t always mean those containers are pet-proof as well. And, since most dogs and cats are curious creatures, it’s best to keep any medications out of their reach. Some common examples you might have in your house include:

  • Cold Medicine
  • Vitamins and Minerals
  • Ibuprofen
  • Allergy Medication
  • Acetaminophen
  • ADD & ADHD Medicine
  • Antidepressants
  • Cardiac Medication

House Cleaning Materials

Before you bust out the toilet bowl cleaner, make sure your dog or cat isn’t nearby because this, along with other cleaners and chemicals, pose a threat to your pet. Bathroom, kitchen, window, and car cleaners are especially toxic to pets in addition to antifreeze, paint thinner, and pool or hot tub products. When possible, avoid doing a deep clean when your dog or cat is around and ensure that your cleaning products or chemicals have fully dried or been washed away before allowing your pet back into the area. And, as always, be sure to store your cleaners and chemicals in a safe place that your dog or cat cannot access.


Some of the items you probably use on a daily basis are things that your dog or cat shouldn’t get their paws on. Toiletries such as toothpaste, mouthwash, vitamin gummies, and lotion may contain Xylitol, which is a common sugar substitute and is usually labeled “sugar alcohol”. This sweetener causes a sudden rush of insulin in your pet’s body, which can cause serious health conditions like seizures, lethargy, liver failure, and potentially death.

Plants and Flowers

Unfortunately, some of the most beautiful and common household plants can also be the most deadly to your furry friend if ingested!

If you have any of the following plants in your home, be sure to keep them out of reach from your dog or cat:

  • Lilies
  • Snake Plants
  • Philodendron
  • Aloe
  • Jade Plants

On the bright side, there are many pet-friendly options that are safe for your dog or cat. Those include:

  • Boston Ferns
  • Pilea Peperomioides
  • Blue Echeveria
  • True Palms
  • Spider Plants
  • Sunflowers

To learn more about safe plants for your dog or cat, check out our Safe Houseplants for Pets blog!

Stay Safe with Stella & Chewy’s

Signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, pale gums, seizures, tremors, and sudden collapsing, so if you believe your dog or cat has possibly been exposed to any of these common household items, we recommend that you call your vet or poison control immediately. For additional articles on keeping your pet safe and more from Stella & Chewy’s, visit Our Blog: For the Pet Obsessed.